Date: March 23, 2023
Time: 5:00 PM – 8:45 PM
Salvatore’s Venetian Ballroom
6461 Transit Rd, Buffalo, NY 14043
This program has been approved for 3.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™.
UBMD Surgery is honored to work with the American Lung Association in Western New York to bring Buffalo a Community Connections, Lung Cancer Screening presentation for continuing education knowledge and credits.
The title of the presentation is “Navigating Lung Cancer Screening & Treatment at All Levels.” The Moderator of the presentation will be Dr. Margret Paroski, MD, MMM – President & DEO of Catholic Medical Partners.
The American Lung Association explains that lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer deaths in America, but there’s hope with early detection and screening. If lung cancer is caught before it spreads, the likelihood of surviving 5 years or more improves to 60%*.
This “Community Connections” event targets primary care, lung specialists, oncology specialists, and advanced practice providers in Western New York to understand the updated guideline in lunch cancer screening, the importance of early detection in lung cancer, and how to identify it, and engage and navigate high-risk patients through a multidisciplinary approach.
The American Lung Association in Western New York will provide an understanding of:
- Updated screening guidelines
- The purpose of annual screening of high-risk individuals
- Implication of early detection for lung cancer treatment options and survival
To register, please click here: https://action.lung.org/site/TRR/Program/ALANE_Northeast/2016722761?pg=ptype&fr_id=23968
For more information, please get in touch with Kaelyn Gates by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling-271-6386
*Based on early-stage lung cancer statistics (stage 1 vs. stage 4).
5:00 PM – 5:30 PM: Arrivals, Check-In, Dinner & Exhibits
5:30 PM – 5:40 PM: Welcome Remarks
5:40 PM – 6:20 PM: 30-minute presentation with 10 minutes of Q&A
Lung Cancer Screening – Radiology perspective
Presenter: Dr. Paul Pizza, MD – Southtowns Radiology
- Goal: Understanding new guidelines and the importance of annual screening of high-risk individuals to identify the earliest changes in tissue for early intervention
- Next Steps after no findings
- Next Steps after abnormal findings
6:20 PM – 6:30 PM: Break and exhibits
6:30 PM – 7:10 PM: 30-minute presentation with 10 minutes of Q&A
Lung Cancer Treatment – Surgical Treatment for Lung Cancer
Dr. Sandip Saha, MD – General Physician PC, Great Lakes Cancer Care Collaborative, UBMD Internal Medicine
- Goal: Understanding the next steps when abnormalities are identified in lung cancer screening imaging including the importance of early detection and early treatment options with subsequent patient outcomes from a surgical perspective, including the Monarch Method.
7:10 PM – 7:20 PM: Break, Dessert & Exhibits
7:20 PM – 8:00 PM: 30-minute presentation with 10 minutes of Q&A
Lung Cancer Treatment – Medical Oncology for Lung Cancer
Presenter: Dr. Prantesh Jain, MD, FACP – Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Care
- Goal: Oncology perspective on the success of treatment on early detected lung cancers vs. late stage including progress and latest treatment options.
8:00 PM – 8:30 PM: 30-minute panel discussion with Q&A
Megan Battista, Nurse Navigator – General Physician PC, Great Lakes Cancer Care Collaborative
Jessica Leone, Health Educator / Patient Navigator – Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Goal: High-level overview of navigation of patient identification through screening and subsequent follow-up to address the concern of monitoring these patients from a primary care perspective. Hope to also address prior authorizations and other technical questions.
8:30 PM – 8:45 PM: Evaluations and Closing Remarks